Home

Home
HOME

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Comics!


Well, I've been reading comics since I used to sneak out of my house at night and ride my skateboard down to the 7-11.  I always loved them.  A story in pictures.  Beautiful artwork to take me away to far away worlds.

I still have 2 comic boxes full of boarded and bagged comics, but I'll mention them later (see bottom of page for my collection - and its for sale!).  For now I want to catch you up in the comic world and tell you what's up today.

Comics have seen a huge increase lately, some even say investing in comics has historically produced better returns then the stock market.  For me, its just about the reading.  Shows like The Walking Dead and the huge collection of ongoing Marvel and DC based movies has only increased interest.

I don't have the room to collect anymore.  I could even say I don't have the room to read and store any more paper-bound comics.  So I have gone digital.  I use Comics from Amazon and am subscribed to Comixology Unlimited, so for about $5/month I can read TONS of comics for free.

I read them on a 10" Kindle Fire tablet and it is just gorgeous.  Guided View opens a single pane on the page full-screen, in all it's artful glory.  I don't think I can ever go back to print.  Save the trees, hurt the local comic stores (which around here pretty much suck anyway)

Where to start?  Well, I don't read the mainstream publishers anymore, like Marvel or DC.  I'm just about completely an Image Comics reader.  I just love their stuff!  Image was formed in 1992 by some of the best artists at the time, as a place for artist to brand their own products, be independent, and keep more of their profits.  Now they are the 3rd largest comic producer.

There's also a pretty decent community over at Reddit Reddit Image Comics where you can find great reviews, monthly reading and pull lists, and more.

Here are some of my favorite titles, linked from Amazon, 1st issues to start you out, or collection books.

 '68 is just plain awesome.  Sgt Rock meets Zombies in Vietnam, and beyond.  Great artwork and intriguing side stories

 Long running series now with its own show.  The comic is WAY better and very well written.  The linked compendium is like the 1st 40 books or something.  You can find them individually as well.

 My current series I am reading.  Love the backstory and its got me hooked.  The great art is a bonus.

 Great story and art of a robot, lost in a world purged of robots

 Great series

 Alice in Wonderland meets Tank Girl meets Deadpool

 Another great zombie series with mysteries and murders!

 REALLY popular series right now with gorgeous artwork throughout!

 Beautiful series

 The stories of what Lewis and Clark REALLY found on their explorations

 Beautifully written by the creator of The Walking Dead

 Classic superhero series also from the creator of The Walking Dead

 Fascinating sci-fi story of alien invasion across our planet.  Except they don't do anything except sit in place like trees

Soooooo many comics, so little time!

Here is a link to my collection on Goggle Drive Tom's Collection





No comments: