Lip balm is by far my most popular item and, as a bonus, super easy to make. I make it in tins mostly because I love getting my fingers into things, there's a lot more in the tins, and it looks cool. You can choose to throw them into chap stick tubes if you want. They are cheap on Amazon.
Let's get started! Here is a list with links to items you will need. This is a large recipe for lots of tins, about 1.5 oz each. Normal chapstick tubes are .15 oz. Half this recipe if its too much. I just like to give away the stuff so I make lots!
- Tin containers, I use the 2 oz 24 Pack of Mighty Gadget (R) Screw Top Round Steel Tin Cans (2 oz)
- Double boiler (can improvise this for sure with a steel bowl) - LI-GELISI 18/8 Stainless Steel Universal Melting Pot, Double Boiler Insert, Double Spouts, Heat-resistant Handle, Flat Bottom, Melted Butter Chocolate Cheese Caramel Homemade Mask =500ML (Silvery)
- 4 TBsp Coconut Oil - This is going into your skin, get the good organic stuff. Carrington Farms Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 54 Ounce
- 4 TBsp Beeswax - Goes a LONG ways. 100% Organic Yellow Beeswax Pellets 1lb (16 oz) Premium Quality, Cosmetic Grade, Triple Filtered Bees Wax Pastilles Great for DIY Lip Balm Recipes Body Creams Lotions Deodorants By Mary Tylor Naturals
- 4 TBsp Shea Butter - I just love Shea butter, penetrates great without leaving a residue if you rub it on all by itself. Used in LOTS of my recipes! Organic Shea Butter 1 lb (16 Oz) Raw Unrefined Ivory Grade A. Premium Quality Amazing Skin Nourishment, Great For DIY Body Butters Lip Balms Lotions Acne Eczema & Stretch Marks By Mary Tylor Naturals
- 4 TBsp Sweet Almond Oil w/ Vitamin E - Helps make things even softer! Aura Cacia Nurturing Sweet Almond Natural Skin Care Oil, 16-Ounce Bottle
- Essential Oils of choice - My favorite so far has been Thieves/Peppermint but the combinations are endless. This particular batch I took pictures for was Thieves/Grapefruit
- Measuring devices and anything for personal touch
Once you have everything, put the coconut oil, Shea butter, and beeswax in your double boiler and on the stove.
Slowly boil, whisk once in awhile and gradually your mixture will clear.
Once nice and clear, you are done. Take it off the stove and now add your Almond Oil w/E and whisk in, it will remain clear. Also add your Essential Oils at this point, for this recipe about 40-50 total, and the scent increases with age in your balm.
Pour your final mixture into your tins, about 3/4 full. Keep the lids off and allow to cool completely.
That's it!! Your done! Screw the lids on and give as gifts after you've stashed enough for yourself. This makes about 7 tins, or 30+ tubes if you go that route. If you choose to personalize them, keep on reading and I'll show you what I do with a simple easy wax stamp.
I get my wax and stamp ready. The stamp is a simple cursive B but I have a cool custom one coming soon so stay tuned!
Melt some wax into a puddle (notice placement in case adding other stuff). Once you have a large enough puddle of wax, press your stamp into it and allow to set 10 seconds. I add some olive oil to the stamp to make removal even easier. Then add any other labels and you are done!
Hope you enjoyed! Look for more in the future. Follow me from the right-hand links so you don't miss anything!